Frank Clift

First Name: 
Last Name: 
Date of Birth: 
Monday, February 4, 1889
Mother's Name: 
Emma Clift nee Sharman
Father's Name: 
William Clift
Date Enlisted: 
Wednesday, February 16, 1916
Rank at Enlistment: 
Rank at Discharge: 
53rd Battalion
Military Cross
British War Medal
Victory Medal
Date of Death: 
Monday, November 5, 1973

Frank Clift (Service No 1630) was born in Huntingdon, England. He arrived in Australia in 1910.

At enlistment in Kiama, N.S.W., he was 27 years old, single and worked as a selector.

Frank embarked on HMAT A40 Ceramic with the 53rd Battalion, 2nd Reinforcements, on 14th April 1916. He arrived in England on 9th August 1916 and joined the 53rd Battalion in France, on 30th September 1916. His ability as a soldier was noted and a rapid promotion followed. Frank was promoted to Corporal on 1st October 1916, Sergeant on 7th November 1916, followed by Officer training and then 2nd Lieutenant on 27th April 1917. He returned to the 53rd Battalion as 2nd Lieutenant on 13th May 1917, and was promoted to Lieutenant on 1st October 1917.

On 19th October 1917, Frank was evacuated to hospital for treatment of a gun shot wound to his left buttock. He returned to duty on 19th April 1918 and served until 29th July 1918 when he was wounded in action a second time. The battalion was in the front line at Morlancourt, France and had fought off 7 enemy attacks on their position during the day, when Frank was wounded. He was evacuated to hospital for treatment of multiple gun shot wounds to his abdomen, left leg, right knee and both arms. 

On 24th September 1918, Frank was awarded the Military Cross for his actions whilst wounded. The recommendation for his Military Cross reads, "During the operations near Morlancourt this officer displayed conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty while in charge of his platoon which was on the left flank of the battalion. Although seriously wounded by a bomb thrown by one of the enemy this gallant officer continued directing operations until his platoon had begun consolidating their positions and were in touch with the 8th Brigade". 

Deemed unfit for further active service Frank was repatriated to Australia in December 1918, and received a huge welcome home in Kiama, N.S.W. He was discharged on 23rd March 1920.

On 19th March 1927, Frank married Dulcie McDonald in Sydney, N.S.W.

Frank died in 1973 and is commemorated for his service on the Kiama War Memorial.  



Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Enter the characters shown in the image.