Thomas Theodore Boxsell

First Name: 
Middle Name: 
Last Name: 
Date of Birth: 
Tuesday, March 30, 1897
Mother's Name: 
Elizabeth Boxsell nee McLean
Father's Name: 
Andrew Boxsell
Date Enlisted: 
Monday, November 15, 1915
Rank at Enlistment: 
Rank at Discharge: 
20th Battalion
Distinguished Conduct Medal
Military Medal
British War Medal
Victory Medal
Date of Death: 
Friday, June 25, 1954
Place of Death: 
Sutherland, N.S.W.

Thomas Boxsell (Service No 4363) born in Berry, N.S.W. 

At enlistment he was single, 18 years of age, worked as a labourer in Port Kembla, N.S.W. and had served for 4 years with the Cadets.  He embarked from Sydney on the HMAT A71 Nestor, with the 11th Reinforcements, 20th Battalion on 9th April 1916. Arriving in England he then joined the 20th Battalion in France, on 6th September 1916, where he saw service on the Western Front.

Thomas was wounded in action on 2nd May 1917 and evacuated to hospital in England for treatment, for shrapnel wounds to his left arm. On 14th October 1917, after returning to his unit Thomas was promoted to the rank of Lance Corporal.

On 9th March 1918 he was admitted to hospital suffering from pneumonia.

On 12th August 1918 he was promoted to Sergeant, shortly after being awarded the Military Medal 8th August, 1918.  The citation for Thomas' Military Medal reads: "On the morning of 8th August 1918 east of VILLERS BRETONNEUX, near AMIENS, during the attack on WARFUSEE line, part of the advance was held up. This Non-commissioned Officer went forward and located the machine gun holding up the advance. Singlehanded he attacked and captured the garrison of 14 men. He then cut the wire to enable the remainder of his section to pass through. By his coolness and disregard of danger he showed a great example to his men.'   Awarded 19 May 1919."

On 31st August, 1918 he won the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions at Mont St Quentin.  The citation for Sergant Boxsell's Distinguished Cross Medal reads: "On three occasions during the operations on MONT ST. QUENTIN ,on the 31 August ,1918, he went out, from an exposed position personally attracted the fire of enemy machine guns, while the remainder of his section worked around the flanks and killed and captured the crews. While engaging the enemy his own gun was knocked out by machine gun bullets."  Awarded 18th February 1919."

On 3rd October, 1918 Thomas was wounded in action and evacuated to hospital for the treatment of shrapnel wounds to both thighs.

He was returned to Australia in March, 1919 and was discharged as medically unfit on 17th June, 1919.

On 1st June, 1924 he married Mary Chisholm in Kiama, N.S.W. with whom he had 2 children.

Thomas died in Sutherland, N.S.W. in 1954.



Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Enter the characters shown in the image.