John Stevens

First Name: 
Last Name: 
Mother's Name: 
Frances Stevens nee Walker
Father's Name: 
John Stevens
Date Enlisted: 
Saturday, February 26, 1916
Rank at Enlistment: 
Rank at Discharge: 
4th, 5th & 6th Tunnelling Company
British War Medal
Victory Medal
Date of Death: 
Tuesday, October 19, 1926
Place of Death: 
Helensburgh, N.S.W.
Cause of Death: 

John (Jack) Stevens (Service No 3676) was born in March 1881 in Dauntsey, Wiltshire, England.  John arrived in Sydney with his family in 1911.

At enlistment, Jack was married to Esther Ann Douglas, his second wife, his first wife having died.  He was 35 years of age, lived at Clifton, N.S.W.and worked as a groom with the police force, but it is unclear if John was a policeman himself.

Initially Jack  was attached to the Mining Corp with the rank of Sapper. He belonged to 4th Tunnelling Company, Headquarters No1 in May1916, No 5 Tunnelling Co and No 6 Tunnelling Co 1st Reinforcements June 1916. 

Jack embarked on 22nd May 1916 from Sydney on HMAT Warilda A69.  He was away without leave at Durban on 16th June 1916 and was given 6 days detention which was commuted to 6 days forfeit pay for being AWL.  

On 17th July 1916 court martial on ship charges quashed as court was improperly constituted. Consequences of trial ordered to be exfunded from all records. He disembarked Plymouth 18th July 1916.

He proceeded overseas to France on 29th August 1916 and taken on strength on 30th September 1916 and transferred to 1st Tunnelling Company.  Jack was sent to field hospital on 29th June 1918 and rejoined his unit on 1st August 1918.

On 17th August 1918 he proceeded on Leave and rejoined his unit on 7th September 1918.  In December Jack was hospitalised with influenza and rejoined his unit on 21st December 1918.

On 24th February he moved out to England for return to Australia and was moved out from Convalescent Camp Parkhouse Heytesbury on 22nd March 1919.

On 1st April 1919 he was sent to Sutton Verny then to 1st Tunnelling Company.

Jack was discharged on 28th July 1919. 

On his return home he received the Helensburgh Medal inscribed Presented to J Stevens by the citizens of Helensburgh on his return from the Great War.  On their return to Helensburgh (N.S.W.) soldiers received these from the towns people at a function held in the hall.  Jack returned to the Clifton area and worked as a miner.

On 19th October 1926 Jack was riding a horse returning from Helensburth when his horse bolted.  He was thrown from the horse and seriously injured.  The accident was witnessed by a local policeman.  Jack was taken home and attended by a doctor, but he died a few hours later without regaining consciousness.

Jack was survived by his wife and 3 grown sons.



Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Enter the characters shown in the image.